Conwy Castle

Conwy Castle was begun in March 1283 as part of Edward’s Iron Ring of Castles and mostly completed by 1289 to the tune of 15,000 pounds (over ten million today) The previous castle in the area was at Deganwy, which is visible from Conwy’s walls but was destroyed during the wars with King Henry and not rebuilt Edward built the castle on the western side of the Conwy River as a foothold in the heart of Gwynedd and controls and important river crossing To build castle and town Edward destroyed the monastery of Aberconwy, patronized by the Welsh princes as well as Llywelyn’s palace Like many of the iron ring, consisted of castle and planted town of English settlers, all surrounded by massive stone walls 8 great towers in a relatively compact castle, also, like the others, designed by James Read more…