St. Beuno's Pistyll - Sarah Woodbury

St. Beuno’s Pistyll

St. Beuno’s Pistyll was founded by St. Beuno, who was a sixth century saint credited with establishing churches throughout Wales. He founded a large church with a healing well at Clynnog Fawr, some 8 and half miles from Pistyll, but would come to Pistyll for quiet and recuperation from his missionary work.

It is said that two stones of the current church, which dates to the 15th century, are from that original early church. One is a cornerstone and the second is the threshold of the original door.

The font within the current church is from the 11th century. The interior also features a five-bay arch-braced roof dating to the 15th century. It is still possible to see the holes for the ropes which secured the thatch in the timbers. Slate replaced the thatched roof in the early 20th century.

The church became one of several stopping places for pilgrims on their way to and from Bardsey Island. On the north wall is the remains of a red ochre wall painting thought to depict St. Christopher, the patron saint of travelers.

In modern Welsh, “pistyll” means fountain, referring to a spring near the church. This was denoted in the historical record in 1254 as “pistibus”. We found the site peaceful with beautiful views of the sea, making it easy to understand why St. Bueno found refuge here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *